Abd Al-Rahman

What do you know? It is my best friend's wedding today. How do I feel? Nothing, I think.

Let me tell you about the things we used to do.

2nd grade, Fall of 2002. Teacher Eman asks me to stand up and go sit in the back next to this new guy that just arrived to class for the first time. His name was Faris, and he has been living in KSA.

I do not remember anything else about our time in 2nd grade.

We turned out to be living next to each other, so we would often go to play soccer on Saturdays. I would call him on his land line and check if he can play. I always wanted to go out, but he was not always able to. I guess that is one thing that did not change when I look at things now. We played with the neighbors, we have funny memories together; like that one time he told a man that he thought he was going to kidnap us. Or that other time he saw the police and started running like hell. We dubbed him Roberto Carlos after that one. We also have memorable goals that went down in history, like that half-volley he scored with his left foot, from the halfway line, wearing Henry's Reeboks.

We lost touch after that. It was until 8th grade that we got back in touch because we befriended the same group of people. Each one of us had his role in that group. Faris was the funny one. We all loved his kind heart and laughed at his violent temper. He often picked fights with other guys and always beat them up. He once picked a fight with me in my own home, he left angry then called and came back and we continued playing like nothing has happened.

In 12th grade, he was in the other section. We did not have much contact, but we were friends. It was right after school that our bond grew a lot tighter.

Remember that one time Hussam scratched his car while parking near Juice Bang Bang? Or that one time they fought because Faris could not make a U-turn because the car behind him was speeding up.
We loved to have music drives, and he goes wild when I'm Yours by Jason Mraz is on. We have the same favourite song by complete chance. We share the same thoughts about almost everything, well, except for how to deal with stupid drivers.

He complains a lot, but his life was not easy. And I am always happy to be there for him and help him see right. He also helps me see right. He is there for me when I need him to be.

You see, what I love the most about Faris is that he chose the kind of man he wants to be. He spent years in Europe, lived alone in foreign countries for years, but that did not change him. It only brought him closer to Allah and to the kind of man he wants to be. An honest, good hearted, generous, funny, educated, professional person. He would not hurt a butterfly, let alone a person. He always resorts to Allah for help and guidance, and that is something I admire about him and about my relationship with him. It is built around something more than this life.

Suddenly, I cannot believe today is the day. I feel sad now. Happy for him too. I know that our relationship will change now given his new martial status, but that is okay, it is not about me today, it is about him. I will always be there for him, and I am going to make sure he has the best wedding day ever.

This is less than 5% of what is going on in my mind. But I am speechless. Perhaps I will have more to say tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacman Contest!

Exactly.

Sea.