I am creating a Bot.

November 9th, 2018

Well, last September, I stopped being a Football fan for good. My two favorite teams were Ajax Amsterdam, and Tottenham Hotspur, and I had enough of them playing brilliant football but not coming out as winners at the end. I came to an understanding with myself over how negatively being a football fan is affecting me, and I had to let go of that. Of course I can delve into the details of why I stopped being a football fan (I think Football is an ill-formed sport, by design), but I might jump into that on a different post.



Though that was not the end of sports fandom for me, because I have grown, right away, my attraction to the NBA. I started waking up after midnight to watch games, but that did not carry too long as I had work in the morning. So I teamed up with my best friend H. And since none of us could watch all the games' highlights everyday, we agreed to divide games between us, so each of us would get to watch a reasonable amount of game highlights, and we would tell one another about games that were good so that the other could watch the highlights then.

Of course you know me (well, not yet), as soon as we agreed on our arrangement, I jumped to surprise H by creating a website that would help us assign the games and rate them. We agreed to pick which games each one would watch in an ABBA form. That means that on some day X, I get to start by picking one game, H picks 2 games, I pick 2, he picks another 2, and so on, until no games are left. We would either be left with an equal amount of games, or one of us would have 1 extra game. Each day, one of us starts the picking.
On the next day, we use the website to rate the games by providing a rating that is one of [Bad, Okay, Great], and also adding a comment if necessary.

Here is the website, and here are some screenshots:

Matches in a day were listed on the home page with the ability to move past and forward between match days.



Each match was given a rating and an optional comment could be added to emphasise on any particular highlight:


But after a while, it was only me using the website, H had his priorities, and I can understand that, but since the website was designed to work for 2 people taking turns, this meant that I was not able to use the website in its current shape anymore.

I had to make a change to the functionalities of the website (I will be referring to it as the system in the rest of this post), it was either I generalize the website, the system, modify it in a way that would allow it to work for as much people as I ask it to, or I could keep its current design, and actually create someone that would continue playing with me! Judging by the title of this post, you know what I did.


November 16th, 2018

I created a Twitter account for the bot-to-be, you can find it here (@mthemach), it is called M (for machine). I applied for a developer's access and got it just today. I will be using the Twitter account for 2 reasons. First, I (it, the bot) will be publishing tweets every now and then in regard to its choices and ratings of games. Second, and that is a future feature that I am really excited to implement, it will scan tweets about games and try to figure out what people think of the games. This should allow it to make better judgements when it rates the games.

December 7th, 2018

It is been a while since I worked on M.

By the way, I am back watching Football again. I guess I needed something to root for, and I love the club.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pacman Contest!

Exactly.

Sea.